Thursday, May 27, 2010

Half my Heart is in Jamaica

My heart is breaking all over again for the country of Jamaica right now. Some of you know that I traveled there back in 2005 with Teen Mania Ministries. We were only there for two weeks, but in that two weeks I developed a love for the people. The country. The lifestyle. But mainly, I developed an aching desire to love and help the children of Jamaica.

I have wanted to go back since the moment we boarded the plane to fly back to the States. I watched as the little island drifted away into the ocean as our plane took off into the cloudy skies.

My heart has been broken since the moment I met some of the most amazing kids throughout Kingston. Those kids are now Junior High and High School aged and are currently caught in the crossfire of a very powerful Drug Lord named Christopher "Dudus" Coke. He has taken over parts of Kingston, such at Tivoli Gardens and Rema (part of Trench Town). His posse that he has been leading ever since the 80's has blockaded the neighborhoods so no one comes in...and no one gets out. There have been over 30 civilian casualties recorded to far, and more are expected.

One of the most horrific parts of this scenario is Coke is "recruiting" boys and men from these areas to join his gang and fight side by side with him. He is offering them $100,000 to join him...if they live through this that is. This is part of the story that the news isn't talking about too much. These boys and men are innocent, but want to provide for their families. So they are accepting Coke's offer, many not realizing that they may not live to see that money and Coke may kill them and their families anyway, just so he doesn't have to lose out financially.

This whole "War" is about drugs and power. Coke lead his "Shower Posse" all over the Caribbean and Florida in the 80's because of his love for Cocaine. Now he has brought his war to Jamaica. As if the island didn't suffer from enough violence already.

Yes, my heart is breaking for the people of Jamaica all over again. My husband actually showed me the news stories about this war and I was in tears watching them. I pray for the children that I met while in Kingston five years ago that they are safe and trying to stay out of the way of these gangsters. I pray that their families are safe. That the Jamaican government will be able to apprehend Christopher Coke and detain him for the rest of his life. I pray that my heart continues to break for this little paradise that is under attack in so many different ways.

"God, Break my heart for the things that break yours."


No comments: